05 March 2009

[redhandedphotography: Saturday's Wedding]


Well ... I'm a teensy bit panicked, I have to admit. I'm photographing a wedding this Saturday and am nervous not because of any reason other than the weather. The forecast for Saturday is rain ... and possibly snow *ugh*. And some lovely wind too. How great.

I have literally spent hours going through various sites, once also with the clients as they showed me the type of photos they would like: edgy, modern, fun. Which is all wonderful - except all of the decided locations are open air, and not under cover. Obviously, a bride is not going to want to stand in the rain - although she has purchased CUTE polka-dotted umbrellas for her and her girls ... but there's also the concern about my equipment in the rain. I can't hold an umbrella, or allow it to obstruct light ... *ugh*. Obviously, someone could help hold something over me - but stilllll.

So today I drove around, for hours, with my boys - university campuses, local parks and greenhouses, other church grounds, schools ... anywhere that had cover. But I am afraid that due to the weather, I will only be able to capture one STYLE of photo. Everything is overtly "urban" ... obviously, there won't be the sunlight streaming through the wheat as they walk hand in hand ... *sigh*.

SO, I have a list - and am satisfied that if the weather doesn't co-operate, I can still do a really great job and provide photos that my clients will fall in love with.

But I wonder if you would happen to have any ideas?

Would love to have a plan a, b, c, d ... and even e, I think.

7 comments:

Shawna said...

Salt Lane in Langley City - Tattoo shop in Salt lane...Construction site of new building off of 200th & 72nd - don't know what it's called.

Canadian Kristin said...

Any greenhouses you could get into? Rows and rows and rows of growing things...natural light, no rain.

Parkade with a big spot light up on a ladder faking sunlight (cheap at Can Tire, the kind painters use...just need an outlet).

Good luck! It's really all about the Bride and Groom, so in the end I'm sure they'll love the photos wherever they end up!

Nickie said...

Not sure where the wedding is, but the public library in downtown Vancouver is beautiful and has a huge covered area. I think that you need to ask for permission in advance though...

Maybe some hotel lobbys if they are really nice?

Anonymous said...

If they like the "graffiti" look, there is a bridge in Langley that is really close to the Seniors Rec center by Blacklock school and 208th, anyways, there is a lot of "local" artwork under it! It may not provide fantastic lighting, but it is raw and covered. I'll keep thinking and pass on any other ideas!

Tawn said...

thanks everyone ... I'll look into these ideas tomorrow!! appreciate it!

Why-Von said...

We were married in Mar. and wanted outdoor pics. I'll always remember that our photographer told us not to worry b/c here generally there are breaks in the weather. For us it poured b/f, during and after the ceremony and on the way to pics it cleared up and by the time we got to the reception we had a beautiful sunset pic. So here's hoping to breaks in the weather for you guys!!

Amanda said...

I am with Yvonne too. (got married the day after her...a few years later) and the forecast wasn't great. It didn't end up pouring, was overcast (which was great because no one was squinting in the sun) and the only precipitation was a slight drizzle here and there and as the BRIDE, I really didn't care because I was married and in LOVE! Good luck with it all Tawn!