21 June 2010

[make: Spelt Flour Biscotti]

First off ... I've been running.  Not just in life, but on an actual ROUTE.  For those of you who know me, and my little stumpy legs, just getting out there is a feat in itself.  I've never thought of myself as a runner, but I have been pleasantly surprised at my endurance ... again, considering I'm not made to be a runner.

So, it's been two weeks that I've been diligent.  I've run every-other-day, and am now running just shy of 3km in under 25min.  No walking.  No cramping.  Could go longer, but I'm set on a 30min workout for now ... My brain has to catch up with my lungs.

And here's the gut wrenching clincher.  I've gained almost 3 pounds.

SERIOUSLY.

Put a fork in me, 'cause I'm done ... I'm now considering torching my scale and starting a "Ban the Numbers" movement across the world.  I hate the scale.  And I think it's fair to say, that it hates me back.

Soooo - it's Monday and that was the day that I used to  post my weight - as positive peer pressure, a kind of weight "watchers" without the fees, a way for me to be accountable.  But let's just go with this:  add 3 pounds to whatever the last weigh in was.

UGH.

SERIOUSLY.

Whatever.  Enough of that.  Now on to the REAL post.  This one's for you, RR.  Told ya I'd get to it *grin* (she's been, like, "... post some recipes.")  So here's one you might just fall in love with ...

I used to make biscotti all the time, after I married my Italian stallion (oh, I'm on a ROLL today ...).  But, I hadn't made it in a looong time, and when I returned to the recipe a couple of weeks ago - I changed it a wee bit to make it a little bit more healthy.  A little.  Bit.  

SPELT FLOUR BISCOTTI

3 free range eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil ( I know, I know ... )
1 cup organic granulated cane sugar (like the way that sounds more healthy?  I do ...)
2 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds (or slivers ...)
2 1/2 cups spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder

Directions:

- Preheat oven to 350F, lightly grease and flour a large cookie sheet
- Beat eggs and oil; add sugar and extract - continue beating for 5 minutes until thick and pale.
- Fold in almonds
- sift flour & baking powder (spelt is hard to sift - I skipped this step, and just mixed well).  Stir into egg mixture using a wooden spoon.
- Shape doug into 2 logs (3" by 10").  With a WET spatula, flatten & shape.
- Bake 25 minutes until golden.  Remove from oven and LOWER oven temp to 300F.
- Cool logs for 10 min.  With a serrated knife cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Lay slices flat, and bake an additional 25-35 min (until crisp, crisp, crisp and dry, dry, dry)
- Store in an airtight container.

These are SUPER yummy ... I assure you.

Let me know if you liked 'em.  (that means you too, Miss. RR *grin*)

Have a great one!

5 comments:

Nickie said...

Keep going - you are doing great! Muscle does weigh more than fat, and your body fluctuates the amount of water it's holding. A better measuring stick is how you feel, and how your clothes are feeling!

That said, I totally understand the frustration of it! Don't give up!

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

Don't get discouraged, Tawn! Honestly, as much as it sucks to hear this, its takes about 3 months until you start to see changes to your body. To lose 1 pound you have to burn 3500 excess calories (ugh!) BUT after around 3 months you'll start to notice changes! Trust me! So, be encouraged! You are doing GREAT! And all of your hard work will pay off!

xo Mary

jamiedelaine said...

italian stallion. hahahahaha. don't worry about the scale, tania, i just gained 3 pounds in the last 2 weeks as well and... it lies. ;)

Rhonda-Roo said...

oh how i love my very own shout-out!! :) I'm on these asap..i'll let you know how they turn out!! Thanks so much!

Tawn said...

Thanks Nickie!!! I'm-a-tryin'. 3500 calories, MK??? Oh dear. Does that mean I have to watch what I eat too? *grin*?? JD - my hubby thinks he's a stallion. He is. But he thinks it outloud a little too much (totally kidding ... ). RR ... make sure you let me know if you liked them. Hmm. Wait. If you didn't like them, lie. It'll make me feel better :-).