First off ... I've been running. Not just in life, but on an actual ROUTE. For those of you who know me, and my little stumpy legs, just getting out there is a feat in itself. I've never thought of myself as a runner, but I have been pleasantly surprised at my endurance ... again, considering I'm not made to be a runner.
So, it's been two weeks that I've been diligent. I've run every-other-day, and am now running just shy of 3km in under 25min. No walking. No cramping. Could go longer, but I'm set on a 30min workout for now ... My brain has to catch up with my lungs.
And here's the gut wrenching clincher. I've gained almost 3 pounds.
Put a fork in me, 'cause I'm done ... I'm now considering torching my scale and starting a "Ban the Numbers" movement across the world. I hate the scale. And I think it's fair to say, that it hates me back.
Soooo - it's Monday and that was the day that I used to post my weight - as positive peer pressure, a kind of weight "watchers" without the fees, a way for me to be accountable. But let's just go with this: add 3 pounds to whatever the last weigh in was.
Whatever. Enough of that. Now on to the REAL post. This one's for you, RR. Told ya I'd get to it *grin* (she's been, like, "... post some recipes.") So here's one you might just fall in love with ...
I used to make biscotti all the time, after I married my Italian stallion (oh, I'm on a ROLL today ...). But, I hadn't made it in a looong time, and when I returned to the recipe a couple of weeks ago - I changed it a wee bit to make it a little bit more healthy. A little. Bit.
SPELT FLOUR BISCOTTI
3 free range eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil ( I know, I know ... )
1 cup organic granulated cane sugar (like the way that sounds more healthy? I do ...)
2 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds (or slivers ...)
2 1/2 cups spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350F, lightly grease and flour a large cookie sheet
- Beat eggs and oil; add sugar and extract - continue beating for 5 minutes until thick and pale.
- Fold in almonds
- sift flour & baking powder (spelt is hard to sift - I skipped this step, and just mixed well). Stir into egg mixture using a wooden spoon.
- Shape doug into 2 logs (3" by 10"). With a WET spatula, flatten & shape.
- Bake 25 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and LOWER oven temp to 300F.
- Cool logs for 10 min. With a serrated knife cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Lay slices flat, and bake an additional 25-35 min (until crisp, crisp, crisp and dry, dry, dry)
- Store in an airtight container.
These are SUPER yummy ... I assure you.
Let me know if you liked 'em. (that means you too, Miss. RR *grin*)
Have a great one!