27 August 2010

[make: Ladybug Cookies]

*cough*

Um.  I wish that this was an inspiring post ... but alas, I continue to create these little do-dads and show my massive inability to, um, do it well *grin*.

And I'm ok with it ... in fact - it's kinda becoming my identity 'round here.  I try - and have tons of fun creating too ...

Katia's first birthday ... oh, my friends, there shall be a few posts on this event.  But I have to do them in order (or else my intense need for chronological order will cause me much grief ...).

As the story goes, we've had a bit of a "ladybug" theme for our little girl.  Her nursery (click here to see) was done with a ladybug theme, and I thought - yup - ladybugs would be perfect.

I decided, on top of a bunch of other little ladybug items, I would make ladybug sugar cookies. 

Let me tell you ... I got so frustrated, I almost put them in my trusty Vitamix and tossed them in the garbage.  They were embarrassingly messy ... and actually, only 2 or 3 were eaten at the party *grin*.  But I have no shame - I'll post pretty much anything.

Here's how I made them.   And you can let me know how YOU made them better than me *grin* ....

First ... I made the dough.  And I mismeasured the butter.  So, it was gooey ... and spread when baked.  Not a great start *grin* ...  oh.  And see my stepladder?  I am short, yes, but that is Josiah's way of getting up and around to help me .. .


I took advice from a website and made the shape myself, instead of cookie cutting it ...


Then.   They spread.   And crumbled.  And I tried to make chocolate frosting to outline ... like the lady on her website instructed.  It was supposed to be easy.  Did I mention she was a professional baker?  Yeah.  I'm not ...


Ok.   SO that wasn't SO bad ... the next part made me go cross-eyed.  I made red frosting, which was really pink because you can't really make red frosting without a gallon of red dye ... and dolloped it on and spread it with a toothpick. 

By cookie number 3, I was done.  I hated this.  I hated them.  I wanted to just go to bed ... 

I finished it off with chocolate chips as the "spots", and I ran out of chocolate frosting - which I was too tired to make an entire new batch - so, I used black licorice candies as the head.  Which was lame.  


Anyhoo ... those were the cookies.  Probably the first thing that I've made in a while that I didn't actually ENJOY making ... so.  No more fancy schmancy cookies.  I shall buy them next time ...

Now, the ladybug CAKE I made ... oh, I LOVED it ... I'll be sure to post that one soon!!

OH ... and I have a new post on my RedHanded Photography blog, if you're interested ... leave a comment - love to know who stops by *grin*!

Have a great one!

3 comments:

Susan Gibbons said...

They are cute! And just a tip that I have learned recently - if you go to Michael's they have icing food dye in every colour under the sun and it literally only takes a dab to make the colour you want. The food colouring you buy at the grocery store requires bottles to make any sort of vivid colour - been there too! Happy Birthday Katia!!!

Canadian Kristin said...

Ah, the memories!!! At least your ladybug cookies were recognizable as ladybugs... I recall the year I made the "ghost bear" cake... the teddy bear's face slid when the icing was too runny. What a fiasco, but definitely a memory!!!
Happy 1st Birthday Katia's Mommy!!!

Lisa B. said...

I think they look great!!! And good for you for even being brave enough to try...especially with having to do a cake as well.
One day, not too long off, your girlie will look back and these pics and LOVE that her mama worked so hard to make her birthday a beautiful one! That's what counts the most.