30 August 2010

[make: Ladybug Birthday Cake]

So ... Katia's birthday, part deux:  The Birthday Cake.

For the last few weeks, I have been checking out various websites for ideas for Katia's birthday cake.  Of course, with a "ladybug" theme - it needed to represent.  I was so excited to do this ... a little girl's cake was a far cry from the Mack Truck cake, CARS Race Track cake, CARS Broken Road cake etc that I've been making the last few years ... 

Where did I start?  With a whole bunch a baking.  I did two 15x10x1 ... nice and thin, with the plan to fill with buttercream icing, a 9x9 and a couple of "ball" cakes too ...


... I added finely grated chocolate chips to the the buttercream frosting.


... and then started creating the shape of a leaf.



... and frosted the top with GREEEEEN frosting.   Very happy.  Very green.  Very "leafy."  *grin*


... Katia wanted to check it out too *smile* ...


... then I outlined with green candy shoelaces for the veining of the leaf ...


... and started adding details around the edge.  I chose to use rock candies ... but I won't lie.  They were super expensive.


... then came the ladybug.  I baked a "ball" cake and used the extra half for the "face" of the ladybug.  Then, I iced it BEFORE I put it on the leaf cake - to try and keep it less messy.


...  I added black liquorice shoelaces to outline the wings, and little yellow dotted candies to to outline the leaf veins.


Then I sprinkled black sugar to fill in the black places.  I put wax paper down to protect the leaf cake.  Unfortunately, I came up with this idea AFTER I put the ladybug on the cake ... I should've done all this BEFORE putting in on the cake ... it was such a mess.  Ah well.


... then more details.  I used pipe cleaners for the antennae and mixed in the black sugar with the red icing to make a textured brown/purple icing for the face.  The circles are chocolate coins, painted with frosting and dipped in the black sugar ... I loved the way they turned out.


... the final touch:  writing her name and adding a candle.  I didn't do "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" as there wasn't any room ... and hey, everyone knew it was her birthday, right?  *grin*.



Oh, I LOVED this cake.   Not because it was perfect - but because it was perfect for our little bean's birthday. I made it the morning of her birthday,  so within a couple of hours it was cut up and eaten ... But that's what a birthday cake is for, right?


Happy birthday, sweet little Katia.  You are so loved!!

Have a great one!

8 comments:

Still Enjoying the Journey said...

That is one of the BEST birthday cakes I have ever seen! Incredibly well done girl ... glad to call you my HS twin! ;) (PS ALthough I could never duplicate that!!!)

natasha said...

so, so, so very, very cute!

Jenn VH said...

Adorable cake!! Well done Tawnia!! :0)

Melissa said...

Amazing! Love all the little details and how original it is!!

Lisa B. said...

Super cute! Love the ladybug...what a fun theme.

Kristin said...

Ooooh, great job on the details! Love the shiny black sugar on the ladybug's dots and I super love the little pearl candies to highlight the veins on the leaf! Well done!!!

Shawna said...

Love it! And what a sweet little one she is!

Caroline said...

I LOOOOVVVEE how the lady bug cake turned out.