22 July 2008

[make: Caramelised Onions]

You should've seen the "happy dance" I did when my cookbooks arrived in perfect condition. They were delivered to my door - I had to sign for them - in about a week from my ordering. I have looked through each book (there are four) at least a dozen times - and each time I turn the page, I think "Oh - no - THAT's the one I want to try next ...". Simply brilliant.

Here are some of the recipes that the Destitute Gourmet has in her four books ... "Thai Chicken Curry", "Lemon Coconut Syrup Cake", "Baked Paprika Chicken", "Old Dark Beer-baked Ham", "Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce", "Steamed Greens with Honey Dressing", "Banana Caramel Waffles" ... and then other great recipes like "Homemade Condensed Milk", "Cajun Seasoning Mix", "Lollipops", "Bubble Mix", "Playdough", "Puffy Paint".

I could go on and on and on and on and on ...


Caramelised Onions

Shallots (small pickling size onions)
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
squeeze of lemon juice
pinch of dried herbs (such as thyme or oregano)

Directions:

Top and tail onions and boil for 6-8 minutes. Drain, then heat 1tbsp oil in the pan. Return onions to pan and add honey, vinegar, lemon juice and herbs. Cover and cook till golden and sweet.

** these are fantastic on pizzas or as an appy with crusty bread and baked brie**

No comments: