13 March 2009

[talk: Is "Thank You" Enough?]

I'm finally at my computer - and what am I listening to? My husband whistling "Coldplay" while wheeling himself to the fridge to refill his water.

I wasn't going to write anything today - I really should be using this time that the boys are at my folk's place to continue going through and edit last week's wedding pics (I PROMISE I'll post some after I send them to the clients) - but this time I'm sitting down at my blog at the request of my husband.

How do you say "Thank You" to someone who gives you the gift of freedom? That's exactly what our friend, PL, did for us. Today he showed up at our home with special equipment that would help my hubby. My husband had been lying on the couch for over 65 hours - trying to sit up, trying to use crutches - but to no avail. This has been painful, frustrating and spirit deflating. I'm physically exhausted from lifting up his 40lb cast, balancing my husband's large frame, going up the stairs countless times in an hour to get the necessities as they're needed. Then, today, all has changed.

With the help of a wheelchair, my man has the ability to get around the house. He can do it HIMSELF. Yes, he won't be going up any stairs ... but even as I type this, I'm watching him go by the dishwasher ... "Why are you going over there?" I asked. "Because I haven't been here in a while," he answered.

So THANK YOU, PL. There are no words ... and to you too, SL, for contacting me and checking up (sorry I haven't replied to your emails ... emails are a luxury for the most part right now). Talk about knowing the "right people" *wink*!!

I have much to share with you all ... a lot of learning going on around here. But for now, I'll remind you what my dear friend CW reminded me. God gives you strength for right now ... now 3 hours from now, not 3 days or weeks from now. Just now. And most of us cans confidently say, "I can DO now ... " and just do that. And before you know it, you've walked through the hardest part, the initial learning curve, and you can look back and say, "I did it."

Of course, I've walked this learning-to-lean path already with Shalom, but God likes to remind us of lessons learned when we start to rely a little too much on ourselves, on our own planning. He's just like that. It's a good thing.

So - over the next few days, I'd like to post some lessons that I want to journal and maybe some of you might be able to relate to the journey of trust and patience. And this does not have everything to do with my hubby's injury - but this event has opened my heart to more that I need to look at in me.

So - whatever it is for you ... remember that you can make it through the next hour. And the next, and the next. Keep on keepin' on.

2 comments:

Jason and Kristin said...

Tawn - you're wonderful! Keep smiling! Love you guys

Shawna said...

Thank You is enough. CW was so right!