07 March 2012

[make: Angry Birds Birthday Cake.]

An Angry Birds birthday cake.

Really??

I need to stop asking my kids what kind of cake they want ... I've made aquariums, Cars race tracks, a treasure chest, Toy Story themed, a Little Einstein Rocket ... all kinds of cakes.  So when Josiah wanted an Angry Birds cake that he could PLAY on (like, a slingshot and the whole deal ...), I rolled my eyes.  Oh.  Boy.

Thank goodness for Google and all the amazing ideas that are out there *grin*!!  I searched and researched and this, THIS is what I came up with ....

Step One.  Bake some cakes *grin*.  I made two 9"round, one 9x9 and one ... well.  It's a 6" bowl, I think.


... I made a massive batch of buttercream frosting.  Coloured it green ... mmmmmm.


Then, I began the "staging" ... cutting the cakes, and trying to build.


Then out came the frosting ...




Then ... I kinda got lost in the process and forgot to take step-by-step pics *grin*.  But I need to tell you about the Angry Birds that I made.  Yes. I actually MADE them ... but seriously - they were fall-off-a-log-easy.  

I actually bought a block of pre-made fondant, how easy is that?? Then I took about a 2inch glob, picked a food colouring colour and rolled it into a ball.  So - for example - I made a red 2" ball.  Then I made an orange beak (I made an orange ball and took a bit from that), then white fondant for eye and the chest.  Then black fondant (again, a fondant ball dyed black) for the eyebrows and I bought a black-food-colouring pen for the eyeballs.  They were SO easy ... and so much fun.


I bought a few props ... some little shrubs, some rock candy ... a couple of fences.   The pigs' "blocks" were made out of Coffee Crisp chocolate bars.


And my FAVOURITE part is always to decorate.  To make the cake come alive ...


SO fun.

 



  


Then ... the next morning, as in every "birthday party morning" - Josiah came running down the stairs to see his cake.  Ok ... I changed my mind.  THIS is my favourite part.




 And ... he just stared at it.


 So.  That's my "Angry Birds Birthday Cake" for Josiah's 5th birthday.  And now I get a break until August *grin* ... 

Mattias wants a Lego cake *head smack*.  Good thing I have a few months to try and figure out what I'm going to do for that *grin*.

Have a great one!


6 comments:

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

You are crazy talented! This cake is fantastic!

I love how happy Josiah is staring at it! Sooooo cute!!!!!!!

Still Enjoying the Journey said...

YUP ... like Mary said - CRAZY TALENTED ...

I just DONT have the patience! What memories you are making for your kids ...

You go girl!

Alex

The Knife + Steel said...

That's amazing. Moms that make cool birthday cakes are the best! My mom has made me one every year since I was born.

PS I've mentioned this before but your son has the coolest name ever.

Josiah Tam

Shawna said...

Great job Tawn! Sure was something to be proud of! Xo*S

Rebecca said...

looks rad! nice job!

Tawn said...

thanks so much, everyone :) ... And knowing most of you personally, I know how talented YOU are - eek - makes me a little whoozy to think you saw my home-done cake. As I always say, I am not a cake decorator - they are farrrrr from perfect. I am a cake builder *grin* ... and they're made with a whack-load of love :)))