13 January 2009

[organize & make: Meal Planning & Teriyaki Chicken]

Ok ... so - it's back to normal around here ... except that nothing is EVER normal. If we had a week that every single day was reliable, I would die of a coronary. Seriously.

We always go to my in-laws on Monday nights ... but that didn't happen and I didn't find out until late morning - which meant I didn't have time to grocery shop and plan. UGH. So it was pizza last night - and my 2 year old sobbed and sobbed ... all he wanted was grapes. Oh brother.

And on Thursday my hubby gets his wisdom teeth taken out, so today I purchased pudding and jello mixes, sorbet, vanilla ice cream and Popsicles. I'm a tad worried about Friday. He's a man ... he could become pathetic *grin*. He said to me last night, "Imagine knowing that in a few days you're going to be in pain." Um. Dude. I've given birth ... YOU imagine being a ticking time bomb waiting for the most unbearable pain you could ever imagine. Don't mess with me *wink*.

But I got it together and dinner is in the oven on low heat, cooking for 2.5 hours ... smells YUMMY already.

That leads me to this week's menu plan. A WEIRD menu plan.

Monday - not even worth mentioning.
Tuesday - roast beef, oven roasted yams, potatoes, red peppers, carrots & onions. Multigrain baguette & salad with tomatoes.
Wednesday - Whole grain fresh fettuccine, red tomato sauce, veggies & dip.
Thursday - Teriyaki Chicken (recipe to follow), brown rice, steamed broccoli.
Friday - Chicken & Spinach lasagna (pre-bought), salad.
Saturday - Ham & Pineapple pizza ... if we're home.

Hope this post finds you and your home in peace.

OH! And the recipe ... I'm not sure where I got this from but I usually use it when I make fried rice with egg and such, so I dice the chicken rather than use the breasts ... it's super yummy - and EXTREMELY hot (heat hot, not spicy hot). So be careful ... and enjoy!

Teriyaki Chicken (for 2 chicken breasts)

2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp ginger (fresh - I keep mine frozen in a ziplock for easy use)
5 tsp honey
1 tbsp cooking sherry (or the real stuff *wink*)
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced (or pressed ... )

Directions:

- mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
- in a non-stick frying pan, cook chicken (diced or breasts) until half cooked.
- pour half of the mixture over chicken and continue cooking. Keep adding sauce until all the sauce is used and becomes evaporated and sticky. Or, if you prefer, reserve some sauce to pour over - but I find that the chicken is adequately coated and extra sauce isn't necessary.

Enjoy! Let me know if you tried it ... would love to hear from you!

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Ha Ha - Lu: he is the drama in the relationship ;)

Enjoy the quiet before the man is home to steal oxygen from your routine...I know I enjoy our "time away"!