12 April 2011

[big dreams: Got Me a Goal, I Do.]

OK.

If you're one of my FB friends you may have seen this.  Last night I posted a status saying one word:  thinking.   And it ended up being a massive convo where I found myself excited, deciding on a new goal for myself.

Aside from a million other things going on in my head last night - I started thinking about my running.  I've been saying for a while, that I want to do a marathon.  One day.  But - as it was pointed out to me last night - am I actually being smart about how to train for that??

I had been chatting with CHW and she was right ... I need more than a "birthday-lose-a-couple-pounds-goal."  I need something hardcore.  I'm goal oriented.  I like to plan, attack and conquer (in a very 5ft tall, feminine sort of way *wink*).

SO.  There's a half marathon in September.  $48.00 to register.  And I think that I'm going to do it.    Notice my liiiiittle bit of hesitation ... I don't like to say something and not follow through (although, this totally happens to me at the best of times ... ).

But 21.1km.  That's crazy far.  Like ... 3 hours?  2 hours??  A million hours????

Yikes.  My heart's racing.

The furthest I've run is 12.2km.  And although I didn't die - I'm pretty sure I'm not able to double that right now.  I've got to figure out how to train for such a thing ... and figure out how I'm going to find the time to do it too.  I mean, taking 1.5/2hrs in a day to run ... then cool down, shower, begin the day??  Oh ... k.   Thinking outloud here ... but I'm guessing that with daylight savings, I just might be doing this once the kiddies are in bed?

I don't have to decide this right now, do I?

And there's a website that I've been told about - Runners World.  There is a BUCKETLOAD of info there ... I'm going to dig into it this week while I suffer from being a playoff-hockey-widow *wink*.  

So ... who's in??  MK - you were a part of that convo ... you know I'm coming after you *grin*.  NS?  You in? I know you're a runner ... and LOVED your comment on my neurotic post *grin*. Girl - you have no idea how neurotic I am ... my brain never, ever stops.

To all of you out there who think, "I could never ... ", I'm realizing in my old age *eyeroll* that there really isn't anything that you can't do.  You've heard it a million times before ... If I can do it, anyone can.  And that's the truth.  Anyone who has known me knows that I'm really not an athlete - I've never been passionate about my health like this before.

Go on - you can do it.  Post your goal and I'll gladly cheer you on :-)!!!

Have a great one ... Xx


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's tempting! I've done a half marathon before and LOVED it!!!! Where is the race? When in September? I've got a lot going on right now so I won't be able to commit to anything until middle of the summer, but I'll definitely think about it!

Tawn said...

... :-)