02 October 2009

[renovations 09: The Fireplace]

All I wanted was a mantle. You know, one made out of wood - that I could hang Christmas stockings from, without worrying about chipping the drywall. Well ... that was the starting point.

My father-in-law was the "project manager" and he said that the whole thing needed to go. If we were going to do this, we were going to do it RIGHT. Um ... yessir!!

So, down it came. The tile was ripped out, the drywall - destroyed.

Then, it was rebuilt from scratch, and the fire-insert was centered and shelves were built.

The insert above was made smaller by bringing in lower from the ceiling (so moulding could go around the perimeter of the ceiling), and the depth was cut in half.

The fireplace was tiled with little black tiles, and finished with mouldings.


It really anchors the room now - and I can't wait to dress it up for Christmas! I'll show you the FULL change with the "Family Room" reveal ...

Have a great one!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Looks awesome!! I'm a big fan of the fireplace being centered... gives the whole room a more balanced feeling. Great choices with the colours and tile! :)

Canadian Kristin said...

That just makes so much more sense to your space to have the fireplace centered! I bet your decorations go up eons before Christmas this year!!!!

Henri said...

Still no moose head? I'm beginning to worry.