14 February 2012

[digiscrap: Happy V Day - oh, and Some Pages.]

First off ... my entry for this week's "I Heart Faces" contest on my RHP blog HERE.  Go check it out :-) ... 


Second.  Valentine's Day.

It's funny - but it actually brings up some not-so-great memories, along with some really great ones *grin*.  It's probably the same for most people - unless you were lucky enough to find your soul mate as a teenager and never face heart break :-).

Growing up, Valentine's Day was a bit yucky for me ... especially before teachers got smart and made it mandatory for every child to give every kid in the class a Valentine.  I remember being in grade 4,  feeling that stomach-dropping feeling as people would pass my desk and drop their Valentine into the most popular kid's bucket.  I was the new kid that year, new school - new everything - and it was hard.

I remember being in Jr. High and how the school would have a fundraiser with students purchasing and sending out "secret" roses ... all being delivered by the most popular gr10 guy/girl in a cupid's costume *grin*.    Ahhhhh ... the things they thought of.   And my two besties were the most popular ... and I?  I just smiled *grin* ... 

Once I started dating, Valentine's Day wasn't nearly as painful ... in fact some of those memories are really sweet.  Slow dancing in the street with the music blaring from the truck ... surprise picnics by the ocean ... day trips to the States to visit quaint little towns.  

But once I met my hubby at the age of 23, Valentine's Day began showing up all throughout the year - in little bunches of joy and sweet things.  The actual Valentine's Day became less important - and living life daily together became of utmost importance.  

Although I DO admit to love a date-night and a treat on February 14th.  I'm still a girl *grin*.  

Well, last night I finished putting together my boy's Valentine's for their classmates.  My boys aren't terribly interested in making little things, so it lands on me.  And as I went through the class list and placed their name on their little bag of candy, I wondered which child this meant a lot to.  I imagined that this little gift would light up the day for one little guy or girl who was having a rough time ... 

Now.  Maybe that's too dramatic for Gr2 *grin* ... but never-the-less, I find myself continually teaching my kids about what it feels like to be picked last, to be left out, to feel alone.  And to remember that God calls us to be kind to one another, to love one another - in real love.  Not this Valentine's makes-ME-feel-good kinda love.

Mark 12: 30-31 says:  "Jesus replied, “The most important commandment is this: ‘Listen, O Israel! The LORD our God is the one and only LORD. And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these.”

So.  On this Valentine's Day ... I hope you are with someone you love, whether it be a spouse, a family member, a friend.  I hope someone is kind to you, and that you feel valued for who you are.

If not, you need to know that there is no better love than the one that comes from our Heavenly Father.   The love He gives is really all we need ... we just need to be reminded of that every now and then *smile*.

Oh - and lookie here ... some digiscrap pages I've been working on, of people that I love.  Not just on Valentine's Day *wink* ... 

Click images to enlarge.

Have a great one!!







No comments: