11 June 2013

[talk: Three. Nine.]

Three.   Nine.

Thirty.  Nine.

No, no ... three-nine sounds so much better *wink*.

Yup ... I've been three-nine for a little over a month now - and it's been an interesting month.  Turning three-nine was a bit of a slap-in-the-face ... but necessary, I guess.  I mean ... I can't avoid it, um, unless I'm dead? And I've got a whole lot of living before that happens!  I hope ... 

Getting older means the obvious - feeling ... old.  So, one of the things that I've been consciously aware of - is watching how I think of those who are younger than me.  In fact, my hubby and I have been intentional in getting to know some of those who are just starting their adult life - and we've really enjoyed the process of "bridging the gap"over these last few months ... 

Here's what I've learned ... 

1.  It's up to me to be the adult, not those younger than me.  So many times have I heard those who are 40+ muttering about the 20-year-olds.  I've listened, and sometimes agreed with - how the 40+ feel in regards to being shoved out, replaced ... but wait - maybe it should be up to US to show ourselves friendly and to include THEM.  Leading by example, being the grown up ... 

2.  Here's another thing I've learned:  they want to be like US, if we're doing it right.  So - get rid of the notion that you're not cool enough, or whatever your hang up is.  If you're living a life worth living - then others will want to glean off of it.  Those younger than us will want to BE us one day ... so get over yourself.  Be inclusive - stomp on your fears of insecurity.

3.  The importance of having a teachable spirit.  Here's the thing - just because we're *cough cough* older, doesn't mean we know everything.  In FACT ... it's not even a bad thing to admit that *grin*.  And again, leading by example - it's important to show those younger than us that it's ok to NOT know everything.  I hear it over and over that the twenty-somethings think they know-it-all ... and I have to smile.  Because, how could THEY possibly know it all, when clearly - we do *BIG WINK*.

I say, bridge the gap.  Those who are older - step out.  Teach.  LOVE.  Those who are younger - accept.  Be willing to listen.  LOVE.

Hmm.  Deep, eh?

Ok ... on a closing note - I came back from my annual "Pink Phoenix" girl's-trip a couple of weeks ago - and we did it again.  Yup.  Our photo-shoot for us old-ladies who aren't afraid to chuckle-it-up in front of the camera.  I actually needed some new pics for my RHP website - so happy NR was able to capture these for me ... 

So.   I've done thirty-seven, thirty-eight and now thirty-nine.  Looking back at those pics, has been so good for me.  I remember what I was going through - I remember how I thought of myself.  And this year?  I feel stronger, smarter, better, happier than ever before.   That doesn't mean I don't ever feel down-in-the-dumps, ugly, stupid, irrelevant ... of course I have those moments too.  But I'm determined to make this the best year ever ... 



I love my family, I love my church, I love my job.  Life is good ... and even when it isn't, it still really is.  As I get older, my eyes continue to be opened to what REAL struggles others have - and it has put to rest a lot of my selfish belly-aching.  I'm still learning - still make mistakes - but getting older can actually mean getting better.  I think that's a good thing.


So.  That's where I'm at right now ... and I hope that you're doing well - that the things the Lord is placing on your heart will have a harvest of great fruit in His perfect time.

Have a great one!

No comments: