29 March 2011

[make: Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream. And A Rant.]

So.  I wrote some of this last night, and now I'm editing this morning ... I'm sitting in a quiet house for the first time in three weeks.  The boys are off to school and Katia is singing to her "baby" ... I'm in my workout gear (Jillian, you have permission to beat me into submission in a few ...) and I'm having my morning shake.  It's a meal replacement shake that I've added frozen strawberries, pineapple and peaches too.  Then I've added 2tbsp of ground flaxseed and 2tsp of 3-6-9 oil blend.  I been having these shakes for the last 3 weeks or so and I love them. 
Plus, I've been running.  Yesterday's 5km was done without 10/1's (I ran straight, with no breaks) and I did it in under 33min.  Barely.  But I'm proud of that ... I'm not just a wanna-be runner anymore.  I am a runner.  I love it.

And yet ... the scale was up this morning.  133.4lbs.  UP, I said.   Ughhhhh.

It's so freakin' discouraging.  Will I ever be 124lb again?  Heck - will I ever be IN the 120's??  I'm guessing I'm getting stronger, my clothes are fitting well - so that's a sign that things are getting tighter.  But still.  

It's funny - because friends have been noticing a physical change ... I had a friend comment this past Sunday morning.  She hadn't seen me in a while and gave me a lovely compliment - and asked how much weight I'd lost.  And I knew that I had actually gained a bit over the last 2 weeks ... and if I look back at my posts here - the difference since Sept 2010 is only a couple of pounds.  That's it.  In fact - it's been less than 10lbs in a whole YEAR, if I check a post I wrote in March of 2010.

So.  I get frustrated when people say, "You've had four babies," or "You're body's not the same as when you were in your 20's," or whatever.  I feel like NOW is the time.  This is it.  If I don't get myself to where I want to be, it'll never happen.  I'm going to be thirty-shhmmmsffff (hand covering mouth) in a few weeks.  I want to be the strongest, the healthiest, the loveliest that I can be.  I don't want excuses.  

I get frustrated when people have reached their goal and I'm feeling like I'm standing still.

My biggest source of contention is the tire that sits on my waist.  I have NEVER, in my life, had a flat tummy.  It's where I've always carried my weight.  Oh.  That and my arms.  I can never wear shirts that are made for skinny-armed people.  Mine are ... guns *grin*.  Minus the rips.  

I remember seeing girls with tiny waists when I was a teenager and in my early twenties.  Girls in bikinis with hips and a bellyring.  Ok.  And they had long legs too *grin*.  That was NOT me.  I had to try and find my waist *grin*.  Bikinis are a curse ... and I actually own a few.  But ... ugh.  Whatever.  And now - a bunch of pregnancies later, that stretched skin with the added "padding" just won't go away.  Or should I say - it hasn't as of yet.

I'm all for my medals ... the odd stretch mark (I was really blessed to not have any with my pregnancies) ... but this tummy just HAS to go.  I'm guess that cardio and time will do it?  I mean, if I'm working at it - it can't stay forever.  Can it??  I know that I know that I know I have at least 7-10lbs to lose.  Heck, according to the doctor's "height/weight" chart I'm supposed to be between 105-118lbs.  Good-freakin-grief.  That's more than 20lbs??  I haven't weighed 105lb's since elementary school.  So, I'm hoping that if I can lose that 7-10lbs that I know I should, at least 4 or 5lbs of it will be from my gut.  Please and thank you.

Phewf.

Thank you for letting me rant. The tire's still there, but I WILL do my Jillian DVD right after I finish this ... 

Ok ... the next part of this post was written last night *grin*.  Ice cream.  Ok Ok Ok ... I know.  Ice cream and weight loss don't go together ... I hear you.

But I just had to post on this.  It seems as though my home-made-ice-creaming-blogs have changed a few homes from processed, expensive,  store-bought ice cream to make-their-own ... I LOVE that.  And now here's another ice cream addition for your repertoire ... 

* * * * * 

If you know anything about ice cream - you can make it with or without eggs.  With eggs - it's got a much better texture and custard-like smoothness.  It has a richer, fuller, thicker taste.  Oh boy.  Doesn't that sound good??

I rarely make it with eggs, though.  First off - time.  Making ice cream with eggs requires time, and more than just that, it requires me KNOWING that I'm going to be making ice cream.  See, with eggs, you've gotta create a warm milk base to cook the eggs in ... blah blah blah.  Then it has to cool down before placing it in the machine ... you get the idea.  Yummy - yes.  Time consuming - yes.

The other thing about eggs in ice cream is the extra calories and cholesterol.   Boo on that.  So - when I make ice cream after dinner, it's usually just milk/sugar/vanilla.  That's it.  Not as rich, but still satisfying. 

Why the speech on eggs?  Well.  As you have just read, they need to be cooked before consumed.  So - when coming up with a Cookie Dough Ice Cream recipe (Tias LOVES cookie dough ice cream at ColdStone and I wanted to surprise him one night with my own version) - I wasn't sure how to do that??  I mean - cookie dough has EGGS in it.

Or does it?? *wink*.

Lookie what I found ... an eggless cookie dough recipe that you FREEZE in little balls or whatever, ready for your ice cream maker when you're ready to make it!!  That is, if you don't eat it all first ... 

Are you as excited about this as I am?

Hmm.

Didn't see any jumping up and down.  I'm sorely disappointed.

*wink*.

Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough for Ice Cream
5tbsp brown sugar 
6tbsp sugar
4tbsp butter, softened
1tsp vanilla
3tbsp whole milk
1 cup flour 
1/2tsp salt
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

This is enough to make 24 small melon ball size of chunks that can be put in the freezer. When ready to add to icecream, you can cut each ball into quarters.

I made this - and can attest to how FANTASTIC it is.  I currently have a little tupperware container with dough-balls in it for the next time I make icecream.  Tias is gonna DIE.  I'll be his favourite mommy forever *grin*.  

It's a true treat ... and hey - if you just like to EAT cookie dough, this is a safe version.  Although - flour, sugar, butter ... you may need to up your cardio *wink*.  I know that I won't be able to have this in my freezer without a nibble here and there.  So treat it as a special treat ... if you want.

Enjoy - and let me know if you give this a try :-).

Have a great one!!

No comments: